Holy Trinity Priory
Holy Trinity Priory, located west of Aldgate and north of Leadenhall Street, was an Augustinian Priory. Stow notes that Queen Matilda established the Priory in 1108
in the parishes of Saint Marie Magdalen, S. Michael, S. Katherine, and the blessed Trinitie, which now was made but one Parish of the holy Trinitie(Stow). Before Matilda united these parishes under the name Holy Trinity Priory, they were collectively known as the Holy Cross or Holy Roode parish (Stow; Harben). When the Priory was
surrenderedto King Henry VIII in July 1531, it had become
a very fayre and large church, rich in lands and ornaments, and [sur]passed all the Priories in the citie of London(Stow).
This article is a stub. The editors are seeking a full-length encyclopedia-style entry for this item. To contribute, see Contribute to MoEML.
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. British History Online. Reprint. Open.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Reprint. British History Online. Subscription. [Kingsford edition, courtesy of The Centre for Metropolitan History. Articles written 2011 or later cite from this searchable transcription. In the in-text parenthetical reference (Stow; BHO), click on BHO to go directly to the page containing the quotation or source.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)