The Wrestlers (Lime Street Ward)
The Wrestlers was a house in Bishopsgate Ward located on the north side of Camomile Street, near the city wall and Bishopsgate (Stow; BHO). The house predates the Wrestlers Court located on the opposite (south) side of Camomile Street. Wrestlers Court was named after the house, which was later renamed Clark’s Court (for the location of Clark’s Court’s, see Blome’s 1755 engraving of Bishopsgate Ward). There are few details about The Wrestlers in historical records.
For Stow, the house is important only as the boundary marker for the wards of Lime Street and Bishopsgate (Stow; BHO).
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Reprint. British History Online. Subscription. [Kingsford edition, courtesy of The Centre for Metropolitan History. Articles written 2011 or later cite from this searchable transcription. In the in-text parenthetical reference (Stow; BHO), click on BHO to go directly to the page containing the quotation or source.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)