St. Andrew Holborn
St. Andrew Holborn was a parish church in Farringdon Without Ward, located on Holborn street between Fetter Lane and Shoe Lane. It is located on the Agas map, labelled as
According to Stow, there was a grammar school, as well a monument dedicated to Lord Thomas Wriothesley either within or nearby St. Andrew Holborn (Stow). The church was first mentioned in Charter of King Edgar in 951 (Harben; BHO). The medieval church was rebuilt in 1632 and managed to escape damage caused by the Great Fire. Christopher Wren rebuilt the church in 1684 making it
the largest of his parish churches, measuring 32 by 19 meters and costing £9,000(Weinreb and Hibbert 741).
St. Andrew Holborn is currently an active church in London and is still housed in its original location.
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. British History Online. Reprint. Open.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. [Also available as a reprint from Elibron Classics (2001). Articles written before 2011 cite from the print edition by volume and page number.]
- Weinreb, Ben, and Christopher Hibbert, eds. The London Encyclopaedia. New York: St. Martin’s, 1983. [You may also wish to consult the 3rd edition, published in 2008.]
Last modification: 2016-07-15 12:20:25 -0700 (Fri, 15 Jul 2016) (mholmes)