Quays on the Thames
The quays or keys along the Thames changed names according to their owners.1 As Stow comments,
These wharffes and keyes commonly beare the names of their owners, and are therefore changeable(Stow). The names for the quays on the Agas map are not entirely consistent with the names given in Stow’s description of Tower Street Ward. The Map of Early Modern London will conduct more research before assigning coordinates and names to the quays in this map section.
See the following articles in the English Heritage Survey of London (Gater and Godfrey), available at British History Online:
- A quay is
A man-made bank or landing stage, typically built of stone, lying alongside or projecting into water for loading and unloading ships(OED quay, n.)
- Gater, G.H. and Walter H. Godfrey, eds. All Hallows, Barking-By-The-Tower, Pt. III. Survey of London. Vol. 15. London: London County Council, 1934. Reprint. British History Online. Open.
- Oxford English Dictionary. Oxford: Oxford UP, 2012. Subscription. OED.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. [Also available as a reprint from Elibron Classics (2001). Articles written before 2011 cite from the print edition by volume and page number.]
Last modification: 2016-06-04 15:39:30 -0700 (Sat, 04 Jun 2016) (jtakeda)