Andro Morris Key
Andro Morris Key, also known as Andro Morris Quay or Andrew Morris Key, was one of the so-called legal quays that sat on the north bank of the Thames between Smart’s Key and Custom House Key. It was east of London Bridge and west of Petty Wales/Galley Row and the Tower of London. It was within Tower Street Ward. It appears on the Agas map as
Andrew morice kay,but it is not labelled on a map of London called An Exact Surveigh of the Streets, Lanes, and Churches that appeared just a few months after the Great Fire of 1666 (Vertue), nor does it appear on a popular 1676 map of the city (Ogilby & Morgan).
A 1665 Act of Parliament instituted the limits of Andro Morris Key; while some quays were limited to the loading and unloading of particular goods, Andro Morris Key was
appointed to the general lading and discharging [...] for all kinds of goods(Pulling 355). As with other quays, all imported goods at Andro Morris Key had to be inspected by customs officials before they could be unloaded.
- Ogilby, John and William Morgan. A Large and Accurate Map of the City of London Ichnographically Describing All the Streets, Lanes, Alleys, Courts, Yards, Churches, Halls and Houses, &c. Actually Surveyed and Delineated by John Ogilby, esq., His Majesties Cosmographer. London, 1676. Reprint. Lypne Castle: Harry Margary, 1976. [We cite by index label thus: Ogilby and Morgan B80.]
- Pulling, Alexander. The Laws, Customs, Usage, and Regulations of the City and Port of London. 2nd ed. London: William Henry Bond, 1854. Hathi Trust. Open.
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)