Carter Lane ran east-west between Creed Lane in the west, past Paul’s Chain, to Old Change in the East. It ran parallel to St. Paul’s Churchyard in the north and Knightrider Street in the south. It lay within Castle Baynard Ward and Farringdon Ward Within. It is labelled as
Carter laneon the Agas map.
Harben suggests that the street was named after a former property owner (Harben 126). Stow does not address the street’s etymology, but does say that it
runeth west to the east entry of the blacke Friers, and the south ende of Creed lane, out of the which Carter lane descendeth a lane called Do little lane, and commeth into Knightriders streete, by the Bores head Tauerne(2:12).
In the later seventeenth century, the western end of the street was called Great Carter Lane and the eastern end called Little Carter Lane. The western end had also apparently been called
Shoemaker Row, or Laneat some point. These names were abolished in 1866 and the whole street was named Carter Lane (Harben 126).
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. British History Online. Reprint. Open.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. [Also available as a reprint from Elibron Classics (2001). Articles written before 2011 cite from the print edition by volume and page number.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)