Westminster Hall is
the only surviving part of the original Palace of Westminster(Weinreb and Hibbert 1011) and is situated on the west side of the Thames. It is located on the bottom left-hand corner of the Agas map, and is labelled as
Originally built as an extension to Edward the Confessor’s palace in 1097, the hall served as the setting for banquets through the reigns of many kings. A fire damaged the hall in 1291 and was later restored by Edward II. Richard II remodelled the hall between 1397 and 1399 to suit his preferences. During Richard II’s reign, Westminster Hall became the centre for London’s administrative activity by maintaining the law courts and hosting parliaments and grand councils. One of the many condemnations that took place in the hall was that of Sir John Oldcastle in 1417, who is believed to be the inspiration for Shakespeare’s Sir John Falstaff (1011).
Last modification: 2016-07-13 13:37:58 -0700 (Wed, 13 Jul 2016) (jtakeda)