Churches in Aldgate
John Stow’s ward-by-ward list of parish churches names three churches in Aldgate: 1603 text). MoEML however, links four churches to entries in our encyclopedia. This discrepancy is the result of different ways of thinking about the churches: Stow lists active parishes (institutions), whereas our map shows physical buildings on particular sites. Although Holy Trinity Priory (the progenitor of St. Katherine Cree) had been dissolved in 1531–1532, its buildings remained on the site just north of the parish church of St. Katherine Cree (or St. Katherine Christ Church). On the Agas map, the complex of buildings formerly belonging to Holy Trinity Priory is labelled Leadenhall Street, stands the parish church of St. Katherine Cree.
Our encyclopedia has separate entries for St. Katherine Cree and for Holy Trinity Priory (Christ Church), but the two institutions have an entwined history.
- 1108: there were three parishes in this area: Holy Cross and St. Mary Magdalene, St. Michael, and St. Katherine. Collectively, they seem to have been known as
- Circa 1107 or 1108: : Holy Trinity Priory was founded during the reign of Henry I at the instigation of his first wife, Matilda of Scotland (born Edith), on the site of the church of the Holy Cross and St. Mary Magdalene (Page 465-75). The former chapel of St. Michael and the church of St. Katherine were in the yard of the priory. Holy Trinity Priory was also known as Christ Church. The parishioners of the three parishes continued their worship in the Priory church.
- 1280: St. Katherine Cree was founded by the Prior to give the parishioners their own place of worship where they would not disrupt the activities of the priory. Cree is a corruption of Christ Church.
- February 1532: the priory was dissolved during the dissolution of the monasteries. The lands and buildings were sold or given by Henry VIII to courtiers and prominent citizens.
- In the 1560s, the Agas map was drawn showing
St. Andrew Undershaft was on the western edge of the ward, on the west side of St. Mary Axe Street and behind a row of houses that fronted the north side of Aldgate Street. It was right across the street from the former St. Mary Axe, which had been given to the parish of St. Andrew Undershaft in 1565.
- Page, William, ed. A History of the County of London. Vol. 1 London Within the Bars, Westminster, and Southwark. London: Victoria Country History, 1909. Open. BHO.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Reprint. British History Online. Subscription. [Kingsford edition, courtesy of The Centre for Metropolitan History. Articles written 2011 or later cite from this searchable transcription. In the in-text parenthetical reference (Stow; BHO), click on BHO to go directly to the page containing the quotation or source.]
Last modification: 2016-06-06 15:39:18 -0700 (Mon, 06 Jun 2016) (mholmes)