The Gunfoundry was a large house and enclosed yard on the north side of Houndsditch where cannon and
Brasse Ordinancewere made (Stow). It was in Portsoken Ward. According to Stow, it was set up in the reign of Henry VIII by the three
brethren […] surnamed Owens(Stow). Historical records do not indicate how long the foundry lasted. The yard appears on Blome’s 1720 map of Portsoken Ward as
gunyard(Blome), though it is presumed that the foundry itself was turned into a normal house by the time that map was made.
On the Agas map, the Gunfoundry is the third enclosed yard west of St. Botolph, Aldgate (there is a cannon in that yard).
This article is a stub. The editors are seeking a full-length encyclopedia-style entry for this item. To contribute, see Contribute to MoEML.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Reprint. British History Online. Subscription. [Kingsford edition, courtesy of The Centre for Metropolitan History. Articles written 2011 or later cite from this searchable transcription. In the in-text parenthetical reference (Stow; BHO), click on BHO to go directly to the page containing the quotation or source.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)