Thames Street was the longest street in early modern London, running east-west from the ditch around the Tower of London in the east to St. Andrew’s Hill and Puddle Wharf in the west, almost the complete span of the city within the walls. It passed through seven wards: Tower Street, Billingsgate, Bridge (within), Downgate, Vintry, Queenhithe, and Castle Baynard.
Archaeological finds suggest that it followed an old Roman road beside the river, from which it takes its name. The street today, twenty-five feet above the level of the Roman road (Harben, Thames Street), is divided into Lower Thames Street (the section east of Southwark Bridge) and Upper Thames Street (the section west of Southwark Bridge).
See also: Chalfant 178.
- Chalfant, Fran C. Ben Jonson’s London: A Jacobean Placename Dictionary. Athens: U of Georgia P, 1978.
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. British History Online. Reprint. Open.
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)