St. Edmund the Bishop and Mary Magdalen, Charnel House and Chapel of
The Charnel House and Chapel of St. Edmund and Mary Magdalen was a mortuary chapel in Bishopsgate Ward on the east side of Bishopsgate Street. Prockter and Taylor suggest that the Charnel House and Chapel of St. Edmund and Mary Magdalen is the long, solitary building within the walled compound northwest of the Artillery Yard on the Agas map. References to this chapel are sparse in historical records, but we know from Stow that it
was founded about the yeare 1391. by William Euesham Citizen and Peperer of London, who was there buried(Stow). The chapel was most likely the mortuary for the Priory of St. Mary Spital and therefore stood within or just outside the priory precincts. It seems that when the priory was dissolved, so were the Charnel House and Chapel.
This article is a stub. The editors are seeking a full-length encyclopedia-style entry for this item. To contribute, see Contribute to MoEML.
- Prockter, Adrian, and Robert Taylor, comps. The A to Z of Elizabethan London. London: Guildhall Library, 1979. [This volume is our primary source for identifying and naming map locations.]
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Reprint. British History Online. Subscription. [Kingsford edition, courtesy of The Centre for Metropolitan History. Articles written 2011 or later cite from this searchable transcription. In the in-text parenthetical reference (Stow; BHO), click on BHO to go directly to the page containing the quotation or source.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)