St. Peter le Poor
St. Peter le Poor was a parish church on the west side of Broad Street. It is visible on the Agas map south of Austin Friars, bearing the number 24. That it was
sometime peraduenture a poore Parishgave it the name
le Poor(Stow). Its name distinguished it from the other London churches dedicated to St. Peter. Stow mentions that
at this present there be many fayre houses, possessed by rich marchants and othernear the church (Stow), suggesting that the parish was no longer impoverished.
The church underwent repairs in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries before a complete rebuilding was undertaken in 1788. During construction, the church had to be moved further west because it had been hanging over the street. The last vestiges of the early modern building can be seen in Benjamin Cole’s 1754 engraving of Broad Street Ward (Cole), before construction changed the face of the church. The church stood until the early twentieth century when it was removed (Harben).
This article is a stub. The editors are seeking a full-length encyclopedia-style entry for this item. To contribute, see Contribute to MoEML.
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. British History Online. Reprint. Open.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Reprint. British History Online. Subscription. [Kingsford edition, courtesy of The Centre for Metropolitan History. Articles written 2011 or later cite from this searchable transcription. In the in-text parenthetical reference (Stow; BHO), click on BHO to go directly to the page containing the quotation or source.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)