St. Katherine Coleman
St. Katherine Coleman stood on the south side of Fenchurch Street in Aldgate Ward. There are three main theories regarding the origin of "Coleman" in the church’s name. It may have been in reference to "a great Haw yard, or Garden, of olde time called Coleman haw" in the parish (Stow). It may also refer to a builder or restorer who worked on the church. Finally, it may have been that Fenchurch Street was once called Coleman Street (Harben).
St. Katherine Coleman was also called St. Katherine and All Saints and All Hallows Coleman Church (Harben). The church can be found on the Agas map, west of Northumberland House. It is labelled "S. Katerin colmans." The church is also found in the same place on Richard Blome’s 1720 map of Aldgate Ward (Blome)
ALDGATE WARD with its Diviſion into Pariſhes. Taken from the laſt Survey with Corrections & Additions.Map. London, 1720. British Library. Web. Open.
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. Print. Rpt. British History Online. Web. [Harben’s Dictionary is organized alphabetically. One can also do keyword searches for words that occur within entries.]
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Print. Rpt. British History Online. Web. Subscr. [Kingsford edition, courtesy of The Centre for Metropolitan History. Articles written 2011 or later cite from this searchable transcription. In the in-text parenthetical reference (Stow; BHO), click on BHO to go directly to the page containing the quotation or source..]
This project is supported by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council.
Share | |