St. Katherine Cree
St. Katherine Cree was an old parish church located on the north side of Leadenhall Street between Aldgate and St. Mary Axe. It was in Aldgate Ward. The parish of St. Katherine predates the Holy Trinity Priory, of which St. Katherine’s became a part in 1108, and the church survived the priory’s dissolution in 1531. According to a 1414 decree by the Bishop of London, the church was built so that the priory canons, who had previously shared Christ Church with the laity, had a separate place to worship (Harben; Weinreb and Hibbert 778). Stow reports that the church was so old that one had to descend seven steps to enter it. He also adds that the church’s steeple and bell tower, built in 1504, were the most recent additions (Stow). St. Katherine Cree is also known by the names St. Katherine and the Blessed Trinity and St. Katherine Christ Church. The Church is drawn on the Agas map on the north side of Leadenhall Street, south of Holy Trinity Priory and east of the well in Aldgate Street. It has no label accompanying it.
This article is a stub. The editors are seeking a full-length encyclopedia-style entry for this item. To contribute, see Contribute to MoEML.
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. British History Online. Reprint. Open.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Reprint. British History Online. Subscription. [Kingsford edition, courtesy of The Centre for Metropolitan History. Articles written 2011 or later cite from this searchable transcription. In the in-text parenthetical reference (Stow; BHO), click on BHO to go directly to the page containing the quotation or source.]
- Weinreb, Ben, and Christopher Hibbert, eds. The London Encyclopaedia. New York: St. Martin’s, 1983. [You may also wish to consult the 3rd edition, published in 2008.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)