The Aldgate Bars were posts that marked the eastern limits of the City of London. They were located at the western end of Whitechapel and the eastern end of Aldgate Street. Stow makes no attempt to describe them in detail apart from mentioning their geographic importance as boundary markers (Stow). The bars were removed in the eighteenth century (Harben).
The Aldgate Bars are represented on the Agas map by two posts, one above the other, at the east end of Aldgate Street. There is no mistaking the landmarks because they are clearly labelled
The Barres .
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. British History Online. Reprint. Open.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Reprint. British History Online. Subscription. [Kingsford edition, courtesy of The Centre for Metropolitan History. Articles written 2011 or later cite from this searchable transcription. In the in-text parenthetical reference (Stow; BHO), click on BHO to go directly to the page containing the quotation or source.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)