Leadenhall Street ran east-west from Cornhill Street to Aldgate Street. All three form part of the same road from Aldgate to Cheapside (Weinreb and Hibbert 462). The street acquired its name from Leadenhall, a onetime house and later a market. The building was reportedly famous for having a leaden roof (Bebbington 197).
The name Leadenhall Street first appeared in the seventeenth century. Before this time, it was considered to be a part of Cornhill Street (Weinreb and Hibbert 462). The street had existed for a long time in one form or another, for
in it have been found parts of nine tessellated Roman pavements including, in 1803, a particularly fine example at a depth of 9ft 6ins(Weinreb and Hibbert 462). The church of St. Katharine Cree stood at the corner of Leadenhall and Gracechurch.
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)