Woodroffe Lane ran north-south from Crutched Friars south to Tower Hill. The lane was in Aldgate Ward and was named after the Woodruffe family (Harben). Stow writes that the lane was a place of great benevolence. There were fourteen
proper almes housesbuilt from brick and wood in Woodruffe Lane and the tenants
haue their dewllinges rent free, and ii.s. iiii.d. the peece: the first day of euery moneth for euer(Stow).
This article is a stub. The editors are seeking a full-length encyclopedia-style entry for this item. To contribute, see Contribute to MoEML.
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. British History Online. Reprint. Open.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Reprint. British History Online. Subscription. [Kingsford edition, courtesy of The Centre for Metropolitan History. Articles written 2011 or later cite from this searchable transcription. In the in-text parenthetical reference (Stow; BHO), click on BHO to go directly to the page containing the quotation or source.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)