Oat Lane ran east-west, connecting Noble Street in the west to Staining Lane in the east. It is drawn on the Agas map in the correct position and is labelled as
Ote la.It was in Aldersgate Ward.
Stow has little to say about Oat Lane. In mapping out Aldersgate Ward, he simply directs the reader
West through Oatelane(1:303). Stow and Harben are silent on the etymology of the lane; however, other sources claim that
[o]ats used to be sold here(Weinreb, Hibbert, Keay, and Keay 597; Ekwall 107). On the corner of Oat Lane and Staining Lane stood the church of St. Mary Staining.
- Ekwall, Eilert. Street-Names of the City of London. Oxford: Clarendon, 1965.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. [Also available as a reprint from Elibron Classics (2001). Articles written before 2011 cite from the print edition by volume and page number.]
- Weinreb, Ben, Christopher Hibbert, Julia Keay, and John Keay. The London Encyclopaedia. 3rd ed. Photography by Matthew Weinreb. London: Macmillan, 2008.
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)