Tower Street Ward
The firſt Warde in the Eaſt parte of this cittie within the wall, is called Towerſtreete Ward, and extendeth along the riuer of Thames from the ſaid Tower in the Eaſt, almoſt to Belinſgate in the Weſt: One halfe of the Tower, the ditch on the Weſt ſide, and bulwarkes adioyning do ſtand within that parte, where the wall of the cittie of old time went ſtraight from the Poſterne gate ſouth to the riuer of Thames, before that the Tower was builded. From and without the Tower ditch Weſt and by North, is the ſaide Tower hill, ſometime a large plot of ground, now greatly ſtreightned by incrochmentes, (unlawfully made and ſuffered) for Gardens and Houſes, ſome on the Banke of the Tower ditch, whereby the Tower ditch is marred, but more neare unto the all of the cittie from the Poſterne North till ouer againſt the principall foregate of the Lord Lumleyes houſe, &c. but the Tower Warde goeth no further that way.
Upon this Hill is alwayes readily prepared at the charges of the cittie a large Scaffolde and Gallowes of Timber, for the execution of ſuch Traytors or Tranſgreſſors, as are deliuered out of the Tower, or otherwiſe to the Shiriffes of London by writ there to be executed. I read that in the fift of king Edwarde the fourth a ſcaffold and gallowes was there ſet up by other the kinges Officers, and not of the Citties charges, whereupon the Mayor and his Brethren complayned, but were aunſwered by the king that the Tower hill, was of the libertie of the cittie: And whatſoeuer was done in that point, was not in derogation of the cities Liberties, and therefore commaunded Proclamation to bee made, aſwell within the Citie as in the Suburbes, as followeth: For as much as the ſeauenth day of this preſent Moneth of Nouember, Gallowes were erect and ſet uppe beſides our Tower of London, within the liberties and franchiſes of our cittie of London, in derogation and preiudice of the liberties and franchiſes of this cittie, The king our ſoueraigne Lord would it bee certainely underſtood that the erection and ſetting up the ſaid Gallowes bee not any preſident or example thereby hereafter to be taken, in hurte, preiudice or derogation of the franchiſes, liberties, & priuiledges, of the ſaide cittie, which hee at all times hath had, & hath in his beneuolence, tender fauour and good grace, &c. Apud Weſtminſt. 9. die Nouemb. Anno regni noſtri quinto. In the North ſide of this hill, is the ſaide Lord Lumleyes houſe, and on the weſt ſide diuers houſes lately builded, and other incrochmentes along ſouth to Chicke lane, on the eaſt of Barking church, at the end whereof you haue Tower Street ſtretching from the Tower hill, weſt to St. Margaret Pattens church Parſonage. […]
By the Weſt ende of this Parriſh church and chappell, lyeth Sydon lane, now corruptly called Sything lane, from Towerſtreete up North to Hart ſtreete. In this Sidon lane diuers fayre and large houſes are builded, namely one by Sir Iohn Allen, ſometime Mayor of London, and of counſell unto king Henry the eight: Sir Frances VValſingham knight Principal Secretary to the Queenes Maieſtie that now is, was lodged there, and ſo was the Earle of Eſſex, &c. At the North Weſt corner of this lane, ſtandeth a proper parriſh Church of Saint Olaue, which Church together with ſome houſes adioyning, and alſo others ouer againſt it in Hart ſtreete, are of the ſaide Tower ſtreete Warde. […]
Then haue yee out of Towerſtreete, alſo on the North ſide, one other lane, called Marte lane, which runneth up towardes the North, and is for the moſt parte of this Towerſtreet warde, which lane is about the thirde quarter thereof deuided, from Aldgate ward, by a chaine to bee drawn, thwart the ſaide lane aboue the weſt ende of Harte ſtreete. Cokedon hall, ſometime at the South weſt end of Marte lane I reade of.
A third lane out of Towerſtreete on the North ſide is called Mincheon lane, ſo called of tenements there ſometime pertayning to the Minchuns or Nunnes of Saint Helens in Biſhopſgate ſtreete: this lane is all of the ſaide Warde, except the corner houſe towardes Fenchurch ſtreete. […]
And therefore to begin againe at the Eaſt ende of Towerſtreete, on the South ſide, have ye Beare lane, wherein are many faire houſes, and runneth downe to Thames ſtreete. The next is Sporiar lane, of old time ſo called, but ſince, and of later time named Water lane, becauſe it runneth downe to the Water gate by the Cuſtome houſe in Thames ſtreete: then is there Hart lane for Harpe lane, which likewiſe runneth downe into Thames ſtreete. In this Hart lane is the Bakers Hall, ſometime the dwelling hauſe of Iohn Chichley Chamberlain of London, who was ſonne to William Chichley, Alderman of London, brother to Willian Chichley, Archdeacon of Canterburie, nephew to Robert Chichley, Maior of London, and to Henrie Chichley Archbiſhop of Canterburie. […]
In Tower ſtreete, betweene Hart lane, and Church lane, was a quadrant called Galley row, becauſe Galley men dwelled there. Then haue ye two lanes out of Tower ſtreete, both called Churchlanes, becauſe one runneth downe by the Eaſt ende of Saint Dunſtans Church, and the other by the weſt ende of the ſame: out of the weſt lane, turneth another lane, weſt toward S. Marie Hill, and is called Fowle lane, which is for the moſt part of Tower ſtreete warde.
This Church of Saint Dunſtone in called in the Eaſt, for difference from one other of the ſame name in the weſt: it is a fayre and large Church of an auncient building, and within a large Churchyarde: it hath a great pariſh of many rich Marchants, and other occupiers of diuerſe trades, namely Saltars and Ironmongers. […]
Now for the two Church lanes, they meeting on the Southſide of this Church and Churchyarde, doe ioyne in one: and running downe to the Thames ſtreete: the ſame is called Saint Dunſtans hill, at the lower ende whereof the ſayd Thames ſtreete towards the weſt on both ſides almoſt to Belins gate, but towardes the Eaſt up to the water gate, by the Bulwarke of the tower, is all of tower ſtreete warde. In this ſtreete on the Thames ſide are diuers large landing places called wharffes, or keyes, for Cranage up of wares and Marchandiſe, as alſo for ſhipping of wares from thence to be tranſported. Theſe wharffes and keyes commonly beare the names of their owners, and are therefore changeable. […]
Neare unto this Cuſtomers key towardes the Eaſt, is the ſayd watergate, and weſt from it Porters key, then Galley key, where the Gallies were uſed to unlade, and land their marchandizes and wares: and that part of Thames ſtreete, was therefore of ſome called Galley Row, but more commonly petty Wales.
- Stow, John. A suruay of London· Conteyning the originall, antiquity, increase, moderne estate, and description of that city, written in the yeare 1598. by Iohn Stow citizen of London. Since by the same author increased, with diuers rare notes of antiquity, and published in the yeare, 1603. Also an apologie (or defence) against the opinion of some men, concerning that citie, the greatnesse thereof. VVith an appendix, contayning in Latine Libellum de situ & nobilitate Londini: written by William Fitzstephen, in the raigne of Henry the second. London: John Windet, 1603. STC 23343. University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign Campus) copy Reprint. Early English Books Online. Web.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. [Also available as a reprint from Elibron Classics (2001). Articles written before 2011 cite from the print edition by volume and page number.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)