All Hallows, London Wall
All Hallows, London Wall is a church built east of Bishopsgate, near or on the City Wall. The church is visible on the Agas map northwest of Broad Street and up against the south side of the City Wall. The label
All Haloues in y Wallis west of the church. In his description of Broad Street Ward, Stow notes only the location of the church and the three distinguished people interred therein by 1601.
There has been a church on the site since the twelfth century. The church was expanded in 1528–1529 and repaired in 1613 and 1627. The medieval church escaped the Great Fire of London in 1666 and was finally pulled down and rebuilt in 1765. During this last building phase, part of a bastion of the old London Wall was incorporated into the church itself as a circular vestry (Harben). This church still stands in the same location today.
All Hallows, London Wall has had many variant names. Some of the more common ones are
All Hallows at the Wall,
All Hallows by the Wall,
All Hallows near London Wall,
All Hallows under the Wall,and
All Hallows at Wall(Harben). Whatever the variant, the church’s location has been included as part of its name since the thirteenth century.
See also: All Hallows, London Wall’s modern church website
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. British History Online. Reprint. Open.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Reprint. British History Online. Subscription. [Kingsford edition, courtesy of The Centre for Metropolitan History. Articles written 2011 or later cite from this searchable transcription. In the in-text parenthetical reference (Stow; BHO), click on BHO to go directly to the page containing the quotation or source.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)