Bevis Marks was a street south of the City Wall that ran east-west from Shoemaker Row to the north end of St. Mary Axe Street. It was in Aldgate Ward. Bevis Marks was continued by Duke’s Place. Stow notes that the street included
one great house large of roomes, fayre courts and garden plottes,which at one time belonged to the Abbot of Bury St. Edmunds Abbey, Suffolk. By the eighteenth century, this house no longer existed. Stow also states that the name Bevis Marks is a corruption of
Buries Markes,a name honouring its connection with the Abbey of Bury St. Edmunds (Stow). A synagogue was built on the southeast corner of the street in the late seventeenth century and still exists to this day (see Benjamin Cole’s 1756 map of Aldgate Ward [Cole]).
This article is a stub. The editors are seeking a full-length encyclopedia-style entry for this item. To contribute, see Contribute to MoEML.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Reprint. British History Online. Subscription. [Kingsford edition, courtesy of The Centre for Metropolitan History. Articles written 2011 or later cite from this searchable transcription. In the in-text parenthetical reference (Stow; BHO), click on BHO to go directly to the page containing the quotation or source.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)