St. Christopher le Stocks
St. Christopher le Stocks was originally built on Threadneedle Street on the banks of Walbrook before 1225, and
was dedicated to the patron saint of watermen(Weinreb and Hibbert 751). The church has been known by many names, which include
St. Christopher upon Cornhull,
St. Christopher in Bradestrete,and
St. Christopher near le Shambles(Harben; BHO). Since the 14th century, the church has been known as some variant of St. Christopher le Stocks, which derives from its proximity to the Stocks Market. The church is not labelled, but is identifiable, on the Agas map.
Last modification: 2016-07-12 13:55:24 -0700 (Tue, 12 Jul 2016) (jtakeda)