List documents mentioning this place.
Bartholomew Lane is in Broad Street Ward and runs north-south from the junction of Throgmorton Street and Lothbury to Threadneedle Street. Bartholomew Lane is visible on the Agas map running southeast on the west side of St. Batholomew by the Exchange. It is labelled "bar eelmew la." Stow was the first to record the street as Bartholomew Lane in the 1598 edition of A Survey. Before this time, the lane was called "St. Bartholomew the Less Lane" (Harben). According to Stow, Bartholomew Lane was mainly occupied by "diuers faire builded houses on both sides" (Stow). The street was altered in later centuries with the establishment and expansion of the Bank of England and the New Stock Exchange (Harben).
This article is a stub. The editors are seeking a full-length encyclopedia-style entry for this item. To contribute, see Contribute to MoEML.
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. Print. Rpt. British History Online. Web. [Harben’s Dictionary is organized alphabetically. One can also do keyword searches for words that occur within entries.]
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Print. Rpt. British History Online. Web. Subscr. [Kingsford edition, courtesy of The Centre for Metropolitan History. Articles written 2011 or later cite from this searchable transcription. In the in-text parenthetical reference (Stow; BHO), click on BHO to go directly to the page containing the quotation or source..]