Pedagogical Partner contribution

The Rose

roseAgas Map
roseList documents mentioning The Rose
roseList variant names and spellings
This page has been assigned to a contributor. Its status will change from assigned to complete once it has been published on the site. If you would like to propose a different contribution, please see Contribute to MoEML.

Additional Information from MoEML

Built in 1587 by theatre financier Philip Henslowe, the Rose was Bankside’s first open-air amphitheatre playhouse (Egan). Its foundation, excavated in 1989, reveals a fourteen-sided structure about 22 metres in diameter, making it smaller than other contemporary playhouses (White 302).
Despite its small size, the Rose was a hub of theatrical activity. Its popularity was partly due to its location; falling outside of the jurisdiction of the City of London, Bankside was a locus for brothels, inns, animal-baiting arenas, public gardens, and fishing pools (White 305). Relatively free of civic interference and surrounded by pleasure-seeking crowds, the Rose did very well, staging works by such playwrights as Shakespeare, Marlowe, Kyd, and Dekker (Egan).
The 1590s were comparatively early days for London playhouses. So-called private halls (the theatrical venue of choice for the privileged classes) were not yet common; hence, playgoers at the Rose would have consisted of a mix of upper and lower classes (Gurr, Playgoing 80). Tradesmen and artisans likely formed the bulk of the demographic, but servants, apprentices, students, gentlefolk, and citizens (and citizens’ wives) were also in attendance (70–78). The size and variety of the crowd, plus the theatre’s extra-jurisdictional real estate, also guaranteed the presence of cutpurses, prostitutes, vagrants, and gangs (149).
Activity at the Rose began to decline in 1600, when Henslowe turned his attention to his newly constructed Fortune Playhouse, located in London’s northern suburbs (Egan). Meanwhile, competition had sprung up in the form of the Globe theatre, which was built a mere fifty yards away from the Rose (Gurr, Condition 274). No longer interested in maintaining the venture, Henslowe had the Rose torn down in 1606 (Egan).
For information about the Rose, a modern map marking the site where the it once stood, and a walking tour that will take you to the site, visit the Shakespearean London Theatres (ShaLT) article on the Rose.

References

Last modification: 2017-03-15 17:14:07 -0400 (Wed, 15 Mar 2017) (mholmes)
Export to RefWorks
RIS file (for RefMan, EndNote etc.)

MLA citation:

Mead-Willis, Sarah. “The Rose.” The Map of Early Modern London. Ed. Janelle Jenstad. Victoria: University of Victoria. Web. 22 August 2017. <http://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/ROSE6.htm>.

Chicago citation:

Mead-Willis, Sarah. n.d. “The Rose.” The Map of Early Modern London. Ed. Janelle Jenstad. Victoria: University of Victoria. Accessed August 22, 2017. http://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/ROSE6.htm.

APA citation:

Mead-Willis S. (n.d.). The Rose. In J. Jenstad (Ed.), The Map of Early Modern London. Retrieved August 22, 2017, from http://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/ROSE6.htm

TEI citation:

<bibl> <author><persName><surname>Mead-Willis</surname>, <forename>Sarah</forename></persName></author> (<date>n.d.</date>). <title level="a">The Rose</title>. In <editor><persName><forename>J.</forename> <surname>Jenstad</surname></persName></editor> (Ed.), <title level="m">The Map of Early Modern London</title>. Retrieved <date when="2017-08-22">August 22, 2017</date>, from <ref target="http://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/ROSE6.htm">http://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/ROSE6.htm</ref> </bibl>