Camomile Street (Lime Street Ward)
Camomile Street lay south of the city wall from Bevis Marks to Bishopsgate Street. Camomile Street is the seventeenth century name for a street that was nameless when Stow wrote his Survey of London. Stow merely calls it
the streete which runneth by the north ende of saint Marie streete.He does note that the street had become a less favourable place to live. There were
a number of small tenements, letten out to strangers, and other meane people,a far cry from the fifteenth century when nobles like the Earl of Oxford owned land there (Stow).
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Reprint. British History Online. Subscription. [Kingsford edition, courtesy of The Centre for Metropolitan History. Articles written 2011 or later cite from this searchable transcription. In the in-text parenthetical reference (Stow; BHO), click on BHO to go directly to the page containing the quotation or source.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)