Hog Lane (East Smithfield)
Hog Lane ran east-west into the north-east corner of Little Tower Hill. It should not be confused with the Hog Lane north of Houndsditch. Hog Lane, also called Hog Street in Stow’s Survey of London, was renamed Rosemary Lane in the seventeenth century and was known by this name until 1850 when it was renamed Royal Mint Street after the Royal Mint located on the street’s south side (Stow; Harben). A small section of Hog Lane is labelled
Hogge la.on the east edge of the Agas map.
This article is a stub. The editors are seeking a full-length encyclopedia-style entry for this item. To contribute, see Contribute to MoEML.
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. British History Online. Reprint. Open.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Reprint. British History Online. Subscription. [Kingsford edition, courtesy of The Centre for Metropolitan History. Articles written 2011 or later cite from this searchable transcription. In the in-text parenthetical reference (Stow; BHO), click on BHO to go directly to the page containing the quotation or source.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)