St. Botolph, Aldgate
St. Botolph, Aldgate was a parish church near Aldgate at the junction of Aldgate Street and Houndsditch. It was located in Portsoken Ward on the north side of Aldgate Street. Stow notes that the
Church hath beene lately new builded at the speciall charges of the Priors of the holy Trinitiebefore the Priory was dissolved in 1531 (Stow). He further highlights that the rebuilding was due to
[t]he Parishioners of this parish being of late yeares mightily increased, the Church is pestered with loftes and seates for them(Stow). The church was pulled down and rebuilt between 1725-1740 (Harben). The newer building remains on the same site today.
Also known as St. Botolph without Aldgate, the church stands immediately northeast of Aldgate on the Agas map, beneath the label
For more information on St. Botolph, Aldgate see their website.
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. British History Online. Reprint. Open.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Reprint. British History Online. Subscription. [Kingsford edition, courtesy of The Centre for Metropolitan History. Articles written 2011 or later cite from this searchable transcription. In the in-text parenthetical reference (Stow; BHO), click on BHO to go directly to the page containing the quotation or source.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)