Seething Lane ran north-south from the junction of Hart Street and Crutch Fryers through to Tower Street. The lane, in Tower Street Ward, was marked by a church at each end; on the northwest corner stood St. Olave, Hart Street and on the southeast corner was All Hallows Barking. Stow describes the lane as one with
diuers fayre and large houses(Stow).
Seething Lane was also known as
Sything Lane(Stow). It is featured on the Agas map, running southeast-northwest in between the labels for
Sethinge la.It is also featured on Benjamin Cole’s 1754 engraving of Tower Street Ward, labelled with its modern name (Cole).
Tower Street Ward with their Divisions into Pariſhes according to a New Survey.London, 1754. British Library. Open.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Reprint. British History Online. Subscription. [Kingsford edition, courtesy of The Centre for Metropolitan History. Articles written 2011 or later cite from this searchable transcription. In the in-text parenthetical reference (Stow; BHO), click on BHO to go directly to the page containing the quotation or source.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)