Paul’s Chain was a street that ran north-south between St Paul’s Churchyard and Paul’s Wharf, crossing over Carter Lane, Knightrider Street, and Thames Street. It was in Castle Baynard Ward. On the Agas map, it is labelled
On Ogilby and Morgan’s Map of London in 1677, the street’s name changed south of Knightrider Street to St Bennet’s Hill, and then, after crossing Thames Street, changed again to Paul’s Wharf. Between 1677 and John Rocque’s map of 1746, the section between Carter Lane and Knightrider Street became known as
Godalmin Street.Harben inidcates that the first mention of
Godlyman Streetwas in 1732 (Harben 261). By 1890, the name
Paul’s Chainwas abolished and the stretch of street from St Paul’s Churchyard to what is now called Queen Victoria Street was called
Godliman Street(Harben 461).
In 1598, Stow writes about the
South Chaine of Powles churchyardeand explains that it is near
the Powle head Tauerne, which house with the appurtenances was of olde time called Powles Brewhouse(Stow 2:12, 17).
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. British History Online. Reprint. Open.
- Ogilby, John and William Morgan. London Survey’d, or, An Explanation of the Large Map of London Giving a Particular Account of the Streets and Lanes in the City and Liberties, with the Courts, Yards, Alleys, Churches, Halls, and Houses of Note in Every Street and Lane, and Directions to Find Them in the Map, with the Names and Marks of the Wards, Parishes, and Precincts Therein Described. London: Printed and Sold at the Author’s House in Whitefriars, 1677. Subscription. EEBO.
- Rocque, John. A Plan of the Cities of London and Westminster, and Borough of Southwark with Contiguous Buildings. London: Printed by John Rocque, 1746. Reprint. The A to Z of Georgian London. Introduced by Ralph Hyde. London: London Topographical Society, 1982. [We cite by index label thus: Rocque 15Db.]
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. [Also available as a reprint from Elibron Classics (2001). Articles written before 2011 cite from the print edition by volume and page number.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)