The Bricklayers’ Hall was east of Billiter Lane and stood on the south side of the street running west from the water pump near Aldgate. This street was named Leadenhall Street in the seventeenth century but was considered part of Aldgate Street when Stow was writing. Stow mentions the hall only in passing in his survey, so he neglects the hall’s appearance and history(Stow). The hall was incorporated in 1568 but by the eighteenth century the Bricklayers had abandoned it. Thereafter, it was used as a synagogue by Dutch Jews (Harben).
The Bricklayers’ Hall is not very distinct on the Agas map. It is one of the buildings near the northeast corner of Leadenhall Street and Billiter Lane, north of the four garden plots. There is a building featured on Richard Blome’s 1754 engraving of Aldgate Ward in the correct place (Blome), but it is not clear whether this represents the hall.
This article is a stub. The editors are seeking a full-length encyclopedia-style entry for this item. To contribute, see Contribute to MoEML.
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. British History Online. Reprint. Open.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Reprint. British History Online. Subscription. [Kingsford edition, courtesy of The Centre for Metropolitan History. Articles written 2011 or later cite from this searchable transcription. In the in-text parenthetical reference (Stow; BHO), click on BHO to go directly to the page containing the quotation or source.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)