Bishop’s Palace was located on the north-west side of St. Paul’s Church. It was bordered on the north by Paternoster Row and on the west by Ave Maria Lane (Harben). It is not labelled on the Agas map.
According to Stow, the palace was
a large thing for receipt, wherein diuers kinges have been lodged, and great housholde hath been kept(Stow 2:20). One of these diverse Kings was Henry VII, who in
the seauenteenth of his raingestayed at Bishop’s Palace with Queen Elizabeth (Stow 1:67). Clergyman and historian Peter Heylyn writes that in 1551 the Queen Regent of Scotland travelled through London, stopping at Bishop’s Palace (sig. Q1r). Upon arriving, she was presented with
Mutton, Beefs, Veals, Poultry, Wine, and all other ſorts of Proviſions, neceſſary for Her Entertainment(sig. Q1r).
Few literary texts reference Bishop’s Palace. Sugden lists two references:
In True Tragedy the messenger informs Q. that her son(Sugden 62).remains at Lond. in the B.P.. Milton, in Areopagitica, [...] pours scorn ona lordly Imprimatur . . . from the W. end of Pauls..
Bishop’s Palace no longer exists in modern London.
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. British History Online. Reprint. Open.
- Heylyn, Peter. Ecclesia Restaurata, Or, The History of the Reformation of the Church of England. London, 1660. Wing H1701. EEBO. Subscription.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. [Also available as a reprint from Elibron Classics (2001). Articles written before 2011 cite from the print edition by volume and page number.]
- Sugden, Edward. A Topographical Dictionary to the Works of Shakespeare and His Fellow Dramatists. Manchester: Manchester UP, 1925..
Last modification: 2016-02-27 17:20:00 -0800 (Sat, 27 Feb 2016) (jtakeda)