Mincing Lane ran north-south from Fenchurch Street to Tower Street. All of the street was part of Tower Street Ward
except the corner house[s] towardes Fenchurch streete,which were in Langbourn Ward (Stow). Stow notes that the street was named after
tenements there sometime pertayning to the Minchuns or Nunnes of Saint Helens in Bishopsgate streete(Stow). Stow also makes a definitive link between the lane and London’s commercial history. He states in Mincing Lane
of olde time dwelled diuers strangers borne of Genoa and those parts, these were commonly called Galley men, as men that came vppe in the Gallies, brought vp wines and other merchandises which they landed in Thames street, at a place called Galley key(Stow). Stow is critical of the Genoese of Mincing Lane, who tried to use their own currency in defiance of English Law (Stow).
Tower Street Ward with their Divisions into Pariſhes according to a New Survey.London, 1754. British Library. Open.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Reprint. British History Online. Subscription. [Kingsford edition, courtesy of The Centre for Metropolitan History. Articles written 2011 or later cite from this searchable transcription. In the in-text parenthetical reference (Stow; BHO), click on BHO to go directly to the page containing the quotation or source.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)