The Elms, Smithfield
Located between Horsepool and the Fleet River, the Elms, as John Stow notes, was a place of execution named after the once flourishing number of elm trees on site. Stow refers to the area as
le two elmys(Stow 382). By Stow’s lifetime the expansion of London meant the namesake trees had been cut down.
This article is a stub. The editors are seeking a full-length encyclopedia-style entry for this item. To contribute, see Contribute to MoEML.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. [Also available as a reprint from Elibron Classics (2001). Articles written before 2011 cite from the print edition by volume and page number.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)