This page offers a diplomatic transcription of the opening section of John Stow’s 1603 description of Aldersgate Ward. In this section, Stow traces the jurisdictional boundaries of the ward, indicating where it abuts other wards. It is Stow’s general habit to map out each ward before he begins his detailed street-by-street description of its history and features.
Source: Stow, John. A suruay of London· Conteyning the originall, antiquity, increase, moderne estate, and description of that city, written in the yeare 1598. by Iohn Stow citizen of London. Since by the same author increased, with diuers rare notes of antiquity, and published in the yeare, 1603. Also an apologie (or defence) against the opinion of some men, concerning that citie, the greatnesse thereof. VVith an appendix, contayning in Latine Libellum de situ & nobilitate Londini: written by William Fitzstephen, in the raigne of Henry the second. London: John Windet, 1603. STC 23343. Print. Rpt. Early English Books Online. http://eebo.chadwyck.com/home. Web.
THe next is Alderſgate Ward, taking name of that north gate of the citie, this ward alſo conſiſteth of diuers ſtreets and lanes, lying aſwell within the gate and wall, as without, and firſt to ſpeak of that part within the gate thus it is. The eaſt part thereof ioyneth unto the weſt part of Criplegate warde in Engain lane or Maiden lane. It beginneth on the north ſide of that lane, at Stayning Lane end, and runneth uppe from the Haberdaſhers Hall, to S. Mary Staining Church: and by the church eaſt widning almoſt to Woodſtreete. And weſt through Oatelane, &then by the ſouth ſide of Bacon houſe in Noble ſtreete, backe againe by Lilipot lane, which is alſo of that ward to Maiden lane, and ſo on that north ſide weſt to S. Iohn Sacharies church, and to Faſter lane. Now on the ſouth ſide of Ingaine or Mayden lane is the weſt ſide of Guthuruns lane, to Kery lane, and Kery Lane it ſelf (which is of this ward) and backe again into Engainlane, by the north ſide of the Goldſmithes hall, to Faſter lane: and this is the Eaſt wing of this ward. Then is Foſter lane almoſt wholy of this Warde, beginneth in the ſouth toward Cheape, on the Eaſt ſide by the weſt ende of Engaine lane, by Lilipot lane, and Oatelane, to Noble ſtreete, and through that by Shelly houſe (of old time ſo called, as belonging to the Shelleyes) Sir Thomas Shelley knight, was owner thereof, in the 1. of H. the 4. It is now called Bacon houſe, becauſe the ſame was new builded by ſir Nicholas Bacon Lord keeper of the great Seale. Down on that ſide by Sergeant Fleetwoods houſe, Recorder of London, who alſo new builded it, to S. Olaues Church in Siluer ſtreete, which is by the North weſt end of this Noble ſtreete.
Then again in Foſter lane this ward beginneth on the Weſt ſide thereof, ouer againſt the South weſt corner of S. Foſters church, and runneth downe by S. Leonards church, by Pope lane end, and by S. Anus lane end, which lane is alſo of this ward, north to the ſtone wall by the wall of the Citty, ouer againſt Bacon houſe, which ſtone wall and ſo down north to Criplegate on that ſide, is of Faringdon ward.
Then haue yee the maine ſtreete of this warde, which is called S. Martins lane, including Saint Martin on the Eaſt ſide thereof, and ſo downe on both the ſides to Alderſgate. And theſe be the boundes of this ward within the wall and gate.
Without the gate, the maine ſtreet called Alderſgate ſtreete, runneth up North on the eaſt ſide, to the weſt ende of Howndes ditch or Barbican ſtreete: A part fo which ſtreete is alſo of this warde. And on the weſt ſide to Long lane, a part whereof is likewiſe of this ward. Beyond the which Alderſgate ſtreet, is Goſewell ſtreete up to the Barres.
And on this weſt ſide of Alderſgate ſtreete, by S. Buttolphes church is Briton ſtreet, which runneth weſt to a pumpe, and then north to the gate, which entreth the churchyeard, ſomtime pertaining to the Priory of S. Bartholomew on the eaſt ſide: and on the weſt ſide towards S. Bartholomewes ſpittle, to a paire of poſtes there fixed. And theſe be the boundes of this Alderſgate ward without.
- Stow, John. A suruay of London· Conteyning the originall, antiquity, increase, moderne estate, and description of that city, written in the yeare 1598. by Iohn Stow citizen of London. Since by the same author increased, with diuers rare notes of antiquity, and published in the yeare, 1603. Also an apologie (or defence) against the opinion of some men, concerning that citie, the greatnesse thereof. VVith an appendix, contayning in Latine Libellum de situ & nobilitate Londini: written by William Fitzstephen, in the raigne of Henry the second. London: John Windet, 1603. STC 23343. University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign Campus) copy Reprint. Early English Books Online. Web.
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)