According to Sugden, Strand Bridge was
A bdge. that crossed the brookrunning from St. Clements Well across from the S. and down S. Lane, Lond.(Sugden 489). Stow (pp. 91-97) tells us that the bridge and a number of other features including several inns and tenements were
pulled downe, and made leuell ground, in the yeare 1549. In place whereof he builded that large and goodly house, now called Somerset house.
This article is a stub. The editors are seeking a full-length encyclopedia-style entry for this item. To contribute, see Contribute to MoEML.
- Kingsford, Charles Lethbridge, ed. A Survey of London by John Stow. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. A searchable transcription of this text is available at BHO.
- Sugden, Edward. A Topographical Dictionary to the Works of Shakespeare and His Fellow Dramatists. Manchester: Manchester UP, 1925..
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)