St. Christopher’s Alley
There may have been two alleys known as St. Christopher’s Alley in early modern London. The alley with this name on the south side of Threadneedle Street was destroyed to make way for the Royal Exchange, which opened in 1571. The evidence for this southern leg of St. Christopher’s Alley comes from Stow (1598) and is not supported by any other known documentation.
We are more certain of the existence of a St. Christopher’s Alley on the north side of Threadneedle Street, running along the east side of St. Christopher le Stocks church. Neither alley is visible on the Agas map. It is unusual for an alleyway to bear the same name across two
legsinterrupted by another street.
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. British History Online. Reprint. Open.
- Sugden, Edward. A Topographical Dictionary to the Works of Shakespeare and His Fellow Dramatists. Manchester: Manchester UP, 1925..
- Weinreb, Ben, and Christopher Hibbert, eds. The London Encyclopaedia. New York: St. Martin’s, 1983. [You may also wish to consult the 3rd edition, published in 2008.]
Last modification: 2016-08-04 14:12:57 -0700 (Thu, 04 Aug 2016) (jenstad)