Lime Street is a street that ran north-south from Leadenhall Street in the north to Fenchurch Street in the south. It was west of St. Andrew Undershaft and east of Leadenhall. It appears that the street was so named because people made or sold Lime there (Stow; BHO). This claim has some historical merit; in the 1150s one Ailnoth the limeburner lived in the area (Harben; BHO).
Stow describes how
[t]he East side of this Limestreete from the North corner thereof to the midst, is of Aldgate wardewhile
the west side, for the most part from the said north corner, southward, is of this Limestreete ward: the southend on both sides is of Langborne ward(Stow; BHO). He further notes that the buildings on both sides of the street were
diuerse fayre houses for marchants and others(Stow; BHO).
The street is drawn on the Agas map in its correct position, with the label
Lyme str.The street’s tell-tale curve, accurately portrayed by the Elizabethan map-maker, makes it instantly recognizable.1
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. British History Online. Reprint. Open.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Reprint. British History Online. Subscription. [Kingsford edition, courtesy of The Centre for Metropolitan History. Articles written 2011 or later cite from this searchable transcription. In the in-text parenthetical reference (Stow; BHO), click on BHO to go directly to the page containing the quotation or source.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)