Whitechapel was a street running east-west to the Aldgate Bars from the east. Stow comments that the street, like Aldgate Street, was
fully replenished with buildings outward, & also pestered with diuerse Allyes, on eyther side(Stow). Whitechapel Street may have been another name for Aldgate Street (without Aldgate) (Harben). However, there is no indication that this was the case in 1598; in fact, Stow uses Aldgate Street from the Aldgate Bars to Aldgate) and
A small section of Whitechapel’s west end, though not named, is drawn on the Agas map. It is found east of
Whitechapel became a municipal district in the seventeenth century. It was in this district that the 1888 Jack the Ripper murders took place (Harben).
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. British History Online. Reprint. Open.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Reprint. British History Online. Subscription. [Kingsford edition, courtesy of The Centre for Metropolitan History. Articles written 2011 or later cite from this searchable transcription. In the in-text parenthetical reference (Stow; BHO), click on BHO to go directly to the page containing the quotation or source.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)