Gutter Lane ran north-south from Cheapside to Maiden Lane. It was to the west of Wood Street and to the east of Foster Lane, lying within the north-eastern most area of Farringdon Ward Within and serving as a boundary to Aldersgate ward. It is labelled as
Goutter Laneon the Agas map.
As Stow remarks, it is
so called of Guthurun somtime owner thereof(Stow 253). Stow describes how
fine siluer, such as was then made into foylewas commonly known as
siluer of Guthuron’s lane(Stow 43). The
inhabitants of this lane of old time were Goldbeaters(Stow 253). Other important sites included: Embroiderers’ Hall on the west side and Wax Chandlers’ Hall at the north-east corner by Maiden Lane (Stow 260; Harben).
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. British History Online. Reprint. Open.
- Stow, John. A SVRVAY OF LONDON. Contayning the Originall, Antiquity, Increase, Moderne estate, and description of that Citie, written in the yeare 1598. by Iohn Stow Citizen of London. Also an Apologie (or defence) against the opinion of some men, concerning that Citie, the greatnesse thereof. With an Appendix, containing in Latine, Libellum de situ & nobilitate Londini: written by William Fitzstephen, in the raigne of Henry the second. Ed. Janelle Jenstad, Kim McLean-Fiander, and Nathan Phillips. MoEML. Transcribed. Web. Forthcoming. [Contact us if you would like to see our draft.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)