Northumberland House, Crutched Friars Lane
Northumberland House was a stately home in Crutched Friars Lane, south of Aldgate. It was built by and named after Henry Percy, Earl of Northumberland, in 1455 (Harben). Stow records that by 1598, the house had been abandoned and that the gardens had been turned into one of the first bowling alleys, where all and sundry could bowl and gamble. But Stow notes that
now of late so money [many] bowling Allies, and other houses for vnlawful gaming, hath beene raised in other parts of the Citie and suburbs, that this [Northumberland House] their ancient and onely patron of misrule, is left and forsaken of her Gamesters, and therefore turned into a number of great rents, small cottages, for strangers and others(Stow).
This article is a stub. The editors are seeking a full-length encyclopedia-style entry for this item. To contribute, see Contribute to MoEML.
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. British History Online. Reprint. Open.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Reprint. British History Online. Subscription. [Kingsford edition, courtesy of The Centre for Metropolitan History. Articles written 2011 or later cite from this searchable transcription. In the in-text parenthetical reference (Stow; BHO), click on BHO to go directly to the page containing the quotation or source.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)