St. Michael, Aldgate
St. Michael, Aldgate, was an old parish church that was absorbed by Holy Trinity Priory in 1108 along with the parishes of St. Mary Magdalen, Aldgate, and St. Katherine Cree. According to a papal bull written during the pontificate of Innocent III, it was located in the churchyard of Holy Trinity Priory (Harben).
Stow calls it the
Chappell of Saint Michael,a confirmation that the old church became a chapel around 1385 (Stow; Harben). The chapel is not labelled on the Agas map, however, it is possible that the chapel is one of the square-shaped buildings drawn south of the label Crychur. and north of St. Katherine Cree.
This article is a stub. The editors are seeking a full-length encyclopedia-style entry for this item. To contribute, see Contribute to MoEML.
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. British History Online. Reprint. Open.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Reprint. British History Online. Subscription. [Kingsford edition, courtesy of The Centre for Metropolitan History. Articles written 2011 or later cite from this searchable transcription. In the in-text parenthetical reference (Stow; BHO), click on BHO to go directly to the page containing the quotation or source.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)