Dating back to Roman times, Paul’s Wharf, labelled
Poles Wharfeon the Agas map, is one of the oldest wharfs on the Thames (Schofield 181). Paul’s Wharf, also known as St. Paul’s Wharf, was situated two blocks south of St. Paul’s Church. Early modern London’s only Welsh church, St. Benet’s, dedicated to St. Benedict (abbreviated Benet), was located in the neighborhood around Paul’s Wharf (Pryse-Hawkins). Church legend claims that Ann Boleyn and Lady Jane Grey received their last rights at St. Benet’s. Paul’s Wharf was the favourite point for the clergy at St. Paul’s Cathedral to begin and end their travel, likely due to proximity. The Queen Regent of Scotland also used Paul’s Wharf when visiting the Bishop’s Palace (sig. Q1r).
Most references to Paul’s Wharf are about the neighborhood or its residents. One of the few instances of a direct reference occurs in the Proposal of a New Model for Rebuilding the City of London, which mentions the wharf as a landmark, but it gives no indication as to whether or not the wharf was damaged in the Great Fire of 1666. The list of rents paid in St. Peter’s, Paul’s Wharf shows the parish was both residential and commercial (Inhabitants of London). There were at least three publishers in the neighborhood: Thomas East, John Windet, and Thomas Mabb. Several sermons preached from the pulpit in St. Paul’s were published and mention Paul’s Wharf. However, while many were sold at St. Paul’s Churchyard, most were not published in the Paul’s Wharf neighborhood.
This page has been assigned to a contributor. Its status will change from
completeonce it has been published on the site. If you would like to propose a different contribution, please see Contribute to MoEML.
- Heylyn, Peter. Ecclesia Restaurata, Or, The History of the Reformation of the Church of England. London, 1660. Wing H1701. EEBO. Subscription.
- Schofield, John.
The Medieval Port of London: Publication and Research Access.London Archaeologist (Winter 2012): 181-86. Open.
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)