Conduit upon Cornhill
Not labelled on the Agas map, the Conduit upon Cornhill is thought to have been located in the middle of Cornhill and
opposite the north end of Change Alley and the eastern side of the Royal Exchange(Harben; BHO). Made of stone, it was built to bring fresh water from Tyburn to Cornhill.
As Stow writes, Conduit upon Cornhill was formerly the Tunn upon Cornhill, a prison for
for night walkers, & other ſuſpitious perſons.In 1401, it was converted into a
Ceſterne for ſweete water conueyed by pipes of Leade frō the towne of Tyborne, and was from thence forth called the conduite vpon Cornhill(Stow). It was destroyed in the Great Fire and not rebuilt.
A Survey of London.The Map of Early Modern London. Ed. Janelle Jenstad. University of Victoria. Open. [This document is currently in draft. When it has been reviewed and proofed, it will be published on the site.]
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. British History Online. Reprint. Open.
Last modification: 2016-08-04 15:17:01 -0700 (Thu, 04 Aug 2016) (jenstad)