Sugarloaf Alley ran north-south from Leadenhall Street to Fenchurch Street, on the west side of Bricklayers’ Hall. Stow indicates that it was called
Sprinckle alliebut had been renamed Sugarloaf Alley after a shop sign (
now named Sugar-loafe Alley, of the like signe[Stow; BHO]. Sugar was usually sold in solid loaves.
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. British History Online. Reprint. Open.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. [Also available as a reprint from Elibron Classics (2001). Articles written before 2011 cite from the print edition by volume and page number.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)