Staining Lane ran north-south, starting at Maiden Lane in the south and turning into Oat Lane in the north. It is drawn correctly on the Agas map and is labelled as
Stayning la.It served as a boundary between Cripplegate and Aldersgate wards.
According to Stow, Staining Lane is named after the
Painter stainers dwelling there(1:304). Maitland refutes this claim, arguing that
Staining Lane ... was so called, not(Maitland 181). Stow further complicates the etymological lineage: he states that St. Mary Staining is namedbecause stainers lived in it,but because it once contained the haws of the men of Staines
because it standeth at the North ende of Stayning lane(1:305). However, Harben, Cobb, and Maitland agree that Staining Lane was named after the church and not the other way around (Harben; Cobb 32; Maitland 181). Besides the church, another important site was Haberdashers’ Hall, located at the corner of Staining Lane and Maiden Lane.
Staining Lane survives today, between Gresham Street in the south and Oat Lane in the north.
- Cobb, Gerald. The Old Churches of London. 2nd ed. London: B. T. Batsford LTD, 1942.
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. British History Online. Reprint. Open.
- Maitland, Frederic William. Domesday Book and Beyond: Three Essays in the History of England. 2nd ed. London: Camridge UP, 1907.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. [Also available as a reprint from Elibron Classics (2001). Articles written before 2011 cite from the print edition by volume and page number.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)