St. Botolph without Bishopsgate
St. Botolph without Bishopsgate stood on the west side of Bishopsgate Street north of Bishopsgate. It was in Bishopsgate Ward. St. Botolph without Bishopsgate is featured on the Agas map, south of Bethlehem Hospital and west of Houndsditch. It is labelled
The earliest written record of the church dates to 1212, but the remains of an earlier Saxon church, discovered in the 1720s, indicate that a church stood on the site before the Norman Invasion (Web). We know from Stow that, in 1571, the Mayor of London Sir William Allen, who was born in the parish, took measures to repair the ailing church (Stow). The church was partially rebuilt in 1617 and completely rebuilt in 1728 (Harben). The church is drawn in the same location on Richard Blome’s 1755 map of Bishopsgate Ward. The eighteenth-century church can still be found in the same place in London today.
For more information on St. Botolph’s modern church, see their website.
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. British History Online. Reprint. Open.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Reprint. British History Online. Subscription. [Kingsford edition, courtesy of The Centre for Metropolitan History. Articles written 2011 or later cite from this searchable transcription. In the in-text parenthetical reference (Stow; BHO), click on BHO to go directly to the page containing the quotation or source.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)