List documents mentioning this place.
Cornhill was part of the cityʼs main major east-west thoroughfare that divided the northern half of London from the southern half. The part of this thoroughfare named Cornhill extended from St. Andrew Undershaft to the three-way intersection of Threadneedle, Poultry, and Cornhill where the Royal Exchange was built. The name "Cornhill" preserves a memory both of the cornmarket that took place in this street, and of the topography of the site upon which the Roman city of Londinium was built. The Romans constructed their fortress on the north side of the Thames because the natural topography boasted two hills rising to the two "extensive plateaux" later named Ludgate Hill and Cornhill (Sheppard 21) whereas the south side of the Thames consisted of the marshy mudflats typical of a tidal river. Ludgate Hill and Cornhill were bisected by the Walbrook River.
This article is a stub. The editors are seeking a full-length encyclopedia-style entry for this item. To contribute, see Contribute to MoEML.
- Chalfant, Fran C. Ben Jonson’s London: A Jacobean Placename Dictionary. Athens, GA: U of Georgia P, 1978. Print.
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. Print. Rpt. British History Online. Web. [Harben’s Dictionary is organized alphabetically. One can also do keyword searches for words that occur within entries.]
- Sheppard, Francis. London: A History. Oxford: Oxford UP, 1998. Print.