Lumley House was a large house on the west side of Woodroffe Lane, north of Tower Hill. It was built by
Sir Thomas Wiat the father, vpon one plotte of ground of late pertayning to the foresaid Crossed Fryersduring the reign of Henry VIII (Stow). For Stow, the house was an important boundary marker for Aldgate Ward; it was the most southern point. However, he did not record anything about the house itself.
This article is a stub. The editors are seeking a full-length encyclopedia-style entry for this item. To contribute, see Contribute to MoEML.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Reprint. British History Online. Subscription. [Kingsford edition, courtesy of The Centre for Metropolitan History. Articles written 2011 or later cite from this searchable transcription. In the in-text parenthetical reference (Stow; BHO), click on BHO to go directly to the page containing the quotation or source.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)