St. Ethelburga was a church on the east side of Bishopsgate Street, south of Bishopsgate and east of St. Mary Axe. The church was in Bishopsgate Ward. St. Ethelburga, described by Stow as a
small Parish Church(Stow), is located on the Agas map northwest of
S. Elenand immediately east of the
The church, named after an Abbess of Barking who died in 676, originally belonged to the Priory of St. Helens (Harben). After the Dissolution of the Monasteries and St. Helens’s subsequent surrender, St. Ethelburga passed into the ownership of the Bishop of London. The seventeenth century saw many attempts to repair the church (Harben). It survived the Great Fire of London and therefore retained much of its early medieval architecture well into the later stages of the twentieth century. The church also survived the Blitz in World War II, but was devastated in 1993 by an IRA bomb. It has since been rebuilt.
For more information on St. Ethelburga’s modern church, see their website.
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. British History Online. Reprint. Open.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Reprint. British History Online. Subscription. [Kingsford edition, courtesy of The Centre for Metropolitan History. Articles written 2011 or later cite from this searchable transcription. In the in-text parenthetical reference (Stow; BHO), click on BHO to go directly to the page containing the quotation or source.]
Last modification: 2016-05-27 14:37:29 -0700 (Fri, 27 May 2016) (tlandels)