Houndsditch was a street outside the city walls running slightly northwest from Aldgate Street (without Aldgate) to Bishopsgate Street. It was within the wards of Portsoken and Bishopsgate. The street was formed as people began to build houses on the bank of the city ditch. As the ditch became filled with rubbish and detritus, it was levelled off and turned into gardens (Stow) before finally being paved in 1503 (Harben). Stow mentions that the street’s name came from citizens throwing
dead Doggesinto the city ditch (Stow).
This article is a stub. The editors are seeking a full-length encyclopedia-style entry for this item. To contribute, see Contribute to MoEML.
- Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. British History Online. Reprint. Open.
- Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Reprint. British History Online. Subscription. [Kingsford edition, courtesy of The Centre for Metropolitan History. Articles written 2011 or later cite from this searchable transcription. In the in-text parenthetical reference (Stow; BHO), click on BHO to go directly to the page containing the quotation or source.]
Last modification: 2016-07-10 16:32:00 -0700 (Sun, 10 Jul 2016) (mholmes)